Be part of Commonwealth Games history
Volunteering at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games will be an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience for all those who are involved. It will be our chance to showcase to the world how diverse, friendly and skilled our community is.
Dedicated, friendly volunteers are the cornerstone of all great events and GC2018 will be no different. We’re looking for volunteers with a wide variety of skills and experience to Shape the Games for athletes, officials and fans.
Our goal is to create a volunteer-centric program that encompasses up to 15,000 capable, committed and connected volunteers.
There will be a number of different roles across all of our venues and service areas, so if you have the passion then we have the opportunity for you.
What roles are available?
We have a range of roles across a number of services areas.
We will endeavour to assign positions that meet with people’s preference and experience, however this cannot be guaranteed.
- Client and Customer Service
- Helping us to leave a legacy of positive experiences by providing exceptional customer service to athletes, spectators and officials.
- Operational Support
- Working across Games venues with key operational functions to assist in delivering key services.
- Helping to ensure hospitality services are delivered to our key clients, including athletes, Games officials, workforce and spectators from all around the world.
- Press and Media
- Playing an integral part in bringing the stories and images of GC2018 to the world.
- Become a fleet driver and provide the highest level of customer service with our car-with-driver fleet services.
- Event Technology
- Provide IT support to our clients and team to ensure smooth delivery of event technology.
- Medical Services
- Support the multidisciplinary team that provides care for athletes, officials, spectators, workforce and the media.
- Your chance to experience GC2018 sports from the inside as you assist in the collection and distribution of sport information including schedules and reports
- Ceremonies, Arts and Culture
- Assisting in the day-to-day operations of ceremonies spaces and venues, whilst showcasing Gold Coast to the world.
- Can I submit a late application?
No, in order to volunteer at GC2018 you must have submitted your complete application during the application window, open from 6th February until 20th March 2017.
- I’ve submitted my application, what happens next?
Up until September, our team will be reviewing thousands of applications from dedicated people like you. If you’re chosen to progress to the next stage, invitations will then be sent from April to attend an interview at the Volunteer Selection Centre. With a large variety of volunteering positions available and such considerable interest from motivated individuals like you, we hope you understand it may take us some time to let you know the outcome of your application.
- What is the Volunteer Selection Centre?
The Volunteer Selection Centre (VSC) is the physical location where shortlisted applicants will undergo assessment, engagement and identification validation. The Volunteer Selection Centre is located in Burleigh. The address will be provided as part of your invitation if you are asked to come to a selection event.
- What if I can’t make the date or time of my selection event?
We are scheduling a significant number of volunteer interviews and appreciate you making every effort to attend your scheduled sessions. If, however you cannot attend then go to the Volunteer Portal to select another date and time that is suitable. Alternatively, please contact us on 1300 2018 00 or send an email and we will try to find you an alternative session.
- I have forgotten my login details, what should I do?
You can reset your details on the login page of the Volunteer Portal. Alternatively, please contact us on 1300 2018 00 or send an email and we will be able to help you.
- When will I hear the outcome of my application?
Every volunteer application is unique, so we will communicate with you as much as we can to keep you updated on the progress of your application. Therefore, make sure you keep an eye on your inbox and regularly check the Volunteer Portal for updates.
- How else can I get involved in GC2018?
There are so many great ways to get involved with GC2018! Our second ticket phase is open from early July, meaning you can grab some amazing tickets to see world class sport. We also have a number of events like the marathon and road cycling which you can attend for free! Don’t forget that you can also find other volunteer opportunities through SEEK Volunteer, who bring volunteers and volunteering organisations together.
- What if my circumstances change between application and Games time?
Visit the GC2018 Volunteer Portal as the first reference point on all occasions. The portal has options for applicants to change their details directly at any time.
- I’ve applied to volunteer and I want to purchase tickets, can I still volunteer if I am successful in getting tickets?
We want everyone to be involved and experience the best of GC2018. If you’re offered a role as a volunteer, then we will need you to be available for the duration of GC2018. However, we will attempt, where possible, to schedule your shifts so that you can attend a GC2018 event that you have purchased a ticket for.
- I need help, how can I contact GC2018 for support?
Applicants should access the GC2018 Volunteer Portal in the first instance for all up to date information. If you cannot find the information you require, please contact 1300 2018 00 or email [email protected].