Be part of Commonwealth Games history
Volunteering at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games will be an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience for all those who are involved. It will be our chance to showcase to the world how diverse, friendly and skilled our community is.
Dedicated, friendly volunteers are the cornerstone of all great events and GC2018 will be no different. We’re looking for volunteers with a wide variety of skills and experience to Shape the Games for athletes, officials and fans.
Our goal is to create a volunteer-centric program that encompasses up to 15,000 capable, committed and connected volunteers.
There will be a number of different roles across all of our venues and service areas, so if you have the passion then we have the opportunity for you.
What roles are available?
We have a range of roles across a number of services areas.
We will endeavour to assign positions that meet with people’s preference and experience, however this cannot be guaranteed.
- Client and Customer Service
- Helping us to leave a legacy of positive experiences by providing exceptional customer service to athletes, spectators and officials.
- Operational Support
- Working across Games venues with key operational functions to assist in delivering key services.
- Helping to ensure hospitality services are delivered to our key clients, including athletes, Games officials, workforce and spectators from all around the world.
- Press and Media
- Playing an integral part in bringing the stories and images of GC2018 to the world.
- Become a fleet driver and provide the highest level of customer service with our car-with-driver fleet services.
- Event Technology
- Provide IT support to our clients and team to ensure smooth delivery of event technology.
- Medical Services
- Support the multidisciplinary team that provides care for athletes, officials, spectators, workforce and the media.
- Your chance to experience GC2018 sports from the inside as you assist in the collection and distribution of sport information including schedules and reports
- Ceremonies, Arts and Culture
- Assisting in the day-to-day operations of ceremonies spaces and venues, whilst showcasing Gold Coast to the world.
- How do I apply to volunteer?
To be a GC2018 volunteer, you must complete an online application form.
- What are the minimum requirements for applicants?
- be aged 16 or over at point of application
- be able to speak and read English or are an Australian Sign Language (AUSLAN) user;
- be available between the 4th and 15th April 2018;
- be able to come to Gold Coast for a friendly, informal selection event;
- be able to attend and meet the cost of travelling to the Gold Coast for up to 4 days of training from November 2017
- be able to attend an appointment at our Uniform and Accreditation Centre (UAC) on the Gold Coast to collect your uniform and official pass from January 2018
- agree to a background security check.
- What is the best support contact for the Volunteer Program?
Applicants should access the GC2018 Volunteer Portal in the first instance for all up to date information.
If you cannot find the information you require, please contact 1300 2018 00 or email [email protected].
- What are you looking for in a volunteer?
We are looking for volunteers who have a positive attitude, enjoy working in a team environment, are approachable and friendly, can commit to their shifts throughout Games time and who are an outstanding ambassadors for the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- How long will a shift be?
Shifts will be between 6 and 10 hours, but may be as long as 12 hours by exception. Volunteers will be advised of their individual rosters closer to the Games.
- If I miss the application phase, can I submit a late application?
No, in order to volunteer at GC2018 you must submit your complete application during the application window, open from 6th February.
- What if my circumstances change between application and Games time?
Applicants/Volunteers should visit the GC2018 Volunteer Portal as the first reference point on all occasions. The portal has options for applicants to change their details directly at any time.
There will be fields on the application form that will have a message to say that they need to get in touch with the contact centre for any changes.
- Will accommodation be provided?
No, you will need to provide your own accommodation during the Games.
- I am having issues submitting my application form. What do I do?
If you are having any trouble completing your online application, please call us on 1300 2018 00.
Our contact centre opening hours are:
Monday – Wednesday 8am – 6pm
Thursday 8am – 8pm
Friday 8am – 6pm
Saturday 8.30am – 12pm
Alternatively, please send an email to [email protected]
- What types of medical and health professionals are required?
The GC2018 medical team will be made up of:
- Doctors, including sports, emergency and primary care physicians as well as specialist Radiologists, Orthopaedic, Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Nurses, paramedics, first responders and first aiders
- Physiotherapists, sports trainers and sports massage therapists
- Radiographers and Sonographers
- Optometrists, Optometry Dispensing Technicians
- Dentists, dental prosthetics and assistants
- Medical administrators and other support roles.