ceremonies block 1
Applications have re-opened for males to represent the Gold Coast community during the GC2018 Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
Experience the thrill of standing centre stage inside the stadium for this momentous occasion. Hear the roar of the 35,000 strong audience as you represent your community on the world stage. All that is required is a sense of adventure and passion to be part of the biggest event the Gold Coast has ever seen.
The GC2018 Ceremonies team have completed an analysis of the Ceremonies Volunteer Performer applications and have identified a shortfall in male applications.
We are looking for more males to join the Ceremonies journey and be part of this once in a lifetime experience!
Auditions are being held across October and November with rehearsals commencing in February.
Frequently Asked Questions
Opening and Closing Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performer Applications
Here are the answers to some of the questions you might have about applying for a Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performer role in the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
If your application has been selected, you will be notified via email and invited to an audition.
The details of your audition time slot will be included in your invitation email. Please do not attend any other audition time slot other than the one you have been allocated. If you miss your audition time slot your application will no longer be considered.
We would love to be able to audition everyone who applies. However, we may not be able to invite everyone to auditions if we receive too many applications. If you are invited to an audition this does not guarantee a place in the Ceremonies.
The auditions for Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performers will take place across October and November 2017 within the Gold Coast. If you are selected to attend an audition you will be emailed the location details along with your audition date and time slot.
The auditions are a closed call, which means attendance is by invitation only.
The audition is a fun experience. You will be with us for up to three hours, not including travel time. Here is what you can expect:
- On arrival you will be checked in to your time slot
- Your identification document for accreditation and security purposes will be checked
- Photographs will be taken for Games Time Accreditation and casting purposes
- Your body measurements will be taken to help us plan for costume requirements
- • You will then take part in a unique audition session – don’t worry, it’s all very relaxed and great fun
You should wear comfortable, non-branded, loose fitting clothes and trainer-type footwear. Please limit the amount of personal belongings you bring with you as we cannot take any responsibility for loss or damage.
The purpose of accreditation is to identify and register all persons involved in the staging of the Games. Accreditation ensures that only qualified and eligible people are able to participate in and perform official functions at the Games.
As part of your application you will need to submit details of your online identification document. If you are invited for an audition, you will be asked to bring one of the following documents for accreditation purposes. This should be the same documentation as submitted in your online application.
Acceptable forms of identification are dependent on the nationality of the applicant as outlined below:
- Option A - Australian and New Zealand citizens - one of the following:
- Driver license (includes learner’s permits & marine licenses) issued by an Australian State or Territory Government
- Proof of Age Card - issued by an Australian State or Territory Government
- Australian or New Zealand Passport
- Where no passport is available and you are under 18 - Birth Certificate & supporting documentation*. Please see supporting documentation list below.
- Option B - All other nationalities - one of the following:
- Passport - Please ensure your application is made using the documentation with which you entered the country and hold a visa that allows you to work in Australia
- ImmiCard* or document to travel to Australia* - Where a passport cannot be provided, this is accepted with the following supporting documentation.
* Supporting Documentation
If you are supplying Birth Certificate, ImmiCard or other travel document you will also be required to bring two pieces of additional supporting documentation, one from each group outlined below.
- Medicare Card
- Centrelink Card
- Department of Veterans Affair Card
- Change of Name Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Utility bill
- Property rates noti
- Lease agreement
- Home insurance papers
- Bank or credit card statements
- For students: Letter or reference from school or university (including appropriate letter head)
All applicants will be subject to a background security check. Background security checks are required for the safety and security of the Games.
If you have been invited to audition, you will receive the date and time of your audition in your invitation email. Unfortunately, due to high demand, the date and time of your audition cannot be rescheduled.
Following auditions, if you have been selected to be a Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performer, you will need to commit to attending rehearsals for the period of time that is required.
Rehearsals for the Ceremonies will commence in February 2018. Tentative rehearsal schedules will accompany your offer in late November. Depending on your assigned role, you may be required to attend:
- One or more costume fittings
- February 2018 to 25 March - one or two rehearsals per week (1 weeknight and/ or a 4-hour rehearsal on the weekend)
- 26 March to 4 April: two or three rehearsal per week
If you are cast in the Closing Ceremony, you will be required to attend two or three rehearsals per week from 6 to 15 April.
Rehearsals may be scheduled for any time between the following hours:
- Monday to Friday 5pm – 10pm
- Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays 9am – 10pm
Yes, you can. When deciding if you would like to apply and take part, please consider the time commitment required for the role and remember that all auditions, rehearsals and the Ceremonies themselves will take place in the Gold Coast area. Please also consider your transport requirements and associated costs, as we cannot cover these.
If you have accepted a role as a volunteer for the Games, you will not be able to apply as a Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performer. However, we can accept applications from volunteers who have applied but have not been offered a role.
The Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performer role is not part of the volunteer programme and therefore has different requirements and commitments.
If your application has been selected and you have been invited to audition, we will provide you with the details of the audition venue along with suggested transport links. Please note that we will not be able to provide expenses for your travel to and from auditions.
If you have been offered a Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performer role you will be required to attend rehearsals. Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performers will be responsible for getting to and from the rehearsal sites at all times.
Unfortunately, we cannot provide accommodation to Ceremonies Volunteer Cast Performers at any stage during auditions, rehearsals or performances.
Yes, you can.
The auditions will be an inclusive program and provisions will be made to ensure people with accessibility, mobility and /or medical requirements are given every opportunity.
We want to make sure that any applicant with specific personal requirements or a disability is provided with the necessary support at every stage of the Ceremonies experience – including the audition process. The information you supply in the application simply helps our operational planning and has no bearing on our selection process.
Yes, groups can be scheduled for auditions (between 8 - 100 people). Your group leader can email a request to [email protected]
For jobs available in the Ceremonies team - across departments such as Creative, Production, Operations and Technical - check for current job vacancies.